- 1 head of broccoli
- sea salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- 2 x 300 g quality sirloin steaks, (or beef stir-fry strips)
- 2 teaspoons coriander seeds
- olive oil
- 1 red onion , peeled and finely sliced
- 2 cloves garlic peeled and finely sliced
- 1 thumb-sized piece fresh ginger , peeled and finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- egg noodles or steamed rice, to serve
- red chilli , finely sliced, to serve
- 1 wedge of lime , to serve
Place the broccoli florets into a heatproof bowl and cover them with boiling water. Add a good pinch of salt and leave for 10 minutes. Drain and put to one side.
- Slice the steaks into finger-sized strips and season with salt and pepper. Pound the coriander seeds in a pestle and mortar, then sprinkle over the meat so they stick to it and give it a lovely, fragrant flavour.
- Heat a wok or large frying pan until very hot. Pour in a splash of olive oil and add the onions, garlic and ginger. Fry for a couple of minutes until the onions have softened a little. Drop in the seasoned pieces of beef and stir-fry for a couple of minutes. Add the broccoli and fry for a further 2 minutes, stirring all the time.
- Pour in the soy sauce and sesame oil. Toss in the pan until everything is well coated. Serve with egg noodles or steamed rice with a wedge of lime and some sliced red chilli sprinkled over the top.