Frequently Asked Questions
Why should I order my fruit and vegetables through Cold Country Organics?
- You love the surprise of organic fresh fruit and vegetables delivered to your doorstep.
- You are time poor and want the convenience.
- You value your health and want to reduce the toxic load on your body by nourishing it with produce that is free from GMO’s and nasty chemicals.
- You want to eat seasonally.
- You are excited to receive new recipe ideas with your produce each week.
- To support Australian farmers.
- To support local business.
- You care about the environment.
- You value quality.
Which bag is right for me?
As a general gauge we say that a small bag is suitable for a couple, and a large bag is suitable for a small family.
What’s in my bag?
The produce will be fresh and seasonal. The contents will vary slightly each week, and that’s half the fun! We will also send out a recipe of the week so you know what you can make with the goodness inside your bag.
Unfortunately the days are gone when organic food was just simply ‘food’. With the onset of industrial agriculture and an increased demand, organic farming practices were largely replaced with the use of pesticides, herbicides and fungicides. These are used to prevent insects, weeds and plant diseases damaging crops. As a result, mass production and consistency in product is achieved… but at what cost? There are many reasons to eat organic but we believe these to be our top four:
Health – Eating organic reduces the chemical load on our bodies, and nourishes us from the inside out. Organic produce contains superior vitamins and minerals due to the rich uncontaminated soil that it is grown in. Eating organic also means being more in tune with the seasons. Our bodies require different food throughout the year and eating seasonally supports our bodies to thrive all year round
Taste – Hands down the most delicious produce!
The environment – Pesticides that are used to control crops are hard to contain within the specific area they are meant for. A large percentage of pesticides reach a destination other than their target. Instead, they enter the air, water and sediments. This happens when they run off from paddocks, escape storage tanks, are not discarded properly and especially when they are sprayed aerially. The soil is depleted and wildlife is affected.
To support our farmers – By choosing Australian organic produce we are supporting our farmers to continue doing what they do best! We are contributing to a healthy economy and we know where our dollars are going.
Why does organic food cost more?
- Growing organic produce is very labour intensive and therefore is mostly grown on a small scale. So the benefits achieved by large conventional growers through ‘economies of scale’ are not possible for organic growers.
- Labour is expensive in Australia, and an industry requiring greater manual labour input must have higher costs.
- Without the use of chemicals an organic farmer must spend far more time working their crops to prevent disease and destruction by pests. He must also compost the soil properly, which usually takes at least 12 months.
- The ‘law of supply and demand’ can also affect the price of organic produce. Because supply is often unable to meet demand, this can result in higher prices.
How do I order?
- Jump onto our shop page and choose your bag and any additional products.
- Go to checkout.
- Enter all your details and you can choose to make an account or check out as a guest.
- Uralla and Armidale customers will receive their order on Tuesday afternoon/ evening. Walcha customers will receive their order on Wednesday.
***All order’s need to be in by 10pm Friday for a Tuesday/Wednesday delivery.
How do I pay for my order?
You pay online with a credit card or debit card. Our website provides SSL protection that allows you to enter your credit card or debit card information safely and securely.
When do I receive my bag?
We deliver to Uralla and Armidale every Tuesday afternoon/ evening. Walcha customers will receive their goods on Wednesday.
– Walcha Township: $5.50
– Uralla Township: FREE
– Armidale: $5.50
If you live outside of these areas, please don’t hesitate to contact us and we will do our best to reach you.
How much does delivery cost?
Delivery is FREE within the Uralla township and $5.50 to Armidale and the township of Walcha.
If you live outside of these areas, please contact us directly and we will do our best to reach you.
Do I have to be home to receive my order?
No you do not have to be at home but you will need to give us details of a safe place to leave your box. Preferably, out of direct sunlight and not at risk of being discovered by hungry animals or starving neighbours.
Alternatively you may nominate a friends house to hold your produce for safe keeping until you pick it up.
What time do you deliver and can I request a specific time to receive my bag?
At this stage we do not offer specific time requests for your delivery due to the large area we service, and the complications associated with trying to be at a number of places at once.
Can I subscribe?
Yes, absolutely! If you wish to receive a bag of fresh organic fruit and vegetables each week without having to remember to place your order, this is a great option. To subscribe, just choose the ‘subscription’ option when choosing your bag and/or products to put in your shopping cart. You can stop your subscription at anytime or place it on hold if you are away on holidays.