- 1 eggplant, cut into slices or strips
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 bunches rocket, ends trimmed
- 1/2 cup walnut pieces, coarsely chopped
- 175g feta, crumbled
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 3 teaspoons tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- To make the honey dressing, heat a small frying pan over low heat. Cook the cumin seeds, shaking the pan, for 3 minutes or until aromatic. Use a mortar and pestle, or a coffee or spice grinder, to coarsely crush the seeds. Whisk the cumin, tomato paste, honey, vinegar and garlic in a small bowl. Gradually add the oil in a thin, steady stream, whisking constantly until well combined. Season with salt and pepper.
- Preheat a barbecue grill or chargrill on medium. Use a sharp knife to score the eggplant flesh diagonally. Brush the eggplant with the oil. Cook for 3 minutes each side or until lightly charred and tender. Transfer to a serving bowl.
- Add the rocket and half the dressing. Toss to combine. Drizzle over the remaining dressing and top with the walnut and feta. Season with pepper.